The Lutheran Church
St Andrews Lutheran College is owned and operated by the Lutheran Church of Australia, Queensland District. The Lutheran Church, world-wide, is one of the major Christian churches, and the largest Protestant Church in the world with some 83 million people identifying themselves as Lutheran. Our origins go back to the sixteenth century when Martin Luther insisted that the Christians need to remain focused on the way the Bible clearly communicates that God, through Christ, is active in our world for us. Christ's death on the cross and his resurrection mean that we are God's family, loved, forgiven and free to serve in the global community for which Christ gave his life.
The Lutheran church has been in Australia and New Zealand for more than 150 years. In the 1830's small groups of European Lutherans emigrated in search of religious freedom. They settled mainly in rural areas in various parts of Australia. Today the Lutheran church is made up of people from rural and urban areas and many different cultural backgrounds. Currently in Australia and New Zealand almost 250,000 people call themselves Lutherans. There are 648 congregations, 298 parishes, 533 pastors (including those who have retired) and 92 lay workers.
Lutherans have operated schools in Australia since 1839. Currently there are 85 Lutheran Schools operating Australia-wide, educating some 35 000 students every day.
To gain a more complete understanding of The Lutheran Church of Australia, its mission and ministry to the Australian community, visit www.lca.org.au.